Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A big huge owie...

We have had some drama going on this past couple days.

On Monday, I started to feel kinda yucky just before my husband and I set out on our weekly date. I made the choice to stay home and sleep instead of go out. I really wasn't feeling good and I wanted to rest so I was ready for my busy week ahead. I was talking my husband through making dinner before I went back to bed when Logan started screaming.

I walked into the other room, and Logan came out holding his hand, which was covered in blood. Alex and Cyan were both crying and it took me about 2 seconds to figure out that we were headed to the ER. Logan had gotten his right ring finger slammed in the hinge side of the door and it took most of the pad of his finger off. I snatched him up, grabbed a clean towel, wrapped his hand and started putting pressure on it. I called to Don, while running to the car, and he got in and we drove to the ER. I called a friend to come be with the other kids (which was such an amazing blessing!) and we headed off.

I kept pressure on it for most of the next two and a half hours before we got in to get it stitched up. We only looked at it twice, but man... it was enough to turn my stomach. What a horrible wound! Logan was doing alright. It hurt quite a bit, partially because I was putting pressure on it, but I really wanted it to keep the bloodflow restricted so that when I released it, it would bleed on it's own and they would not have to poke it or anything to get it ready for the stitches. When we got into the back of the ER, the doctor told us that there may be some other damage that we couldn't see, but he was going to put the skin back in place, and then they would X-ray to see if it was broken.

They had to put Logan into a full body restraint, but amazingly enough, he did alright with it. I laid next to him, and put his favorite music on my iPhone and played a toddler flash card application with him while they stitched him up and he only cried for a second.... then was telling us what bears say, and whether or not he liked bananas as they were stitching up his now numb finger. He was doing WAY better than me. I had to hand the game over to Don several times so I didn't get sick.

It took them over an hour to do the stitches (his finger is so little and was so damaged), but when it was done, Logan seemed almost like normal. (Toddlers are amazingly resilient!) In the end, he had 9 stitches in the tip of his itty bitty ring finger to put it all back into place.

They left him on the restraint board while they took the x-rays, and then we were able to hold him again and he even asked to go potty. He was just amazing through the whole thing. It was about then that I started caring that I didn't have on shoes or a bra. I mean, after all, I was about to go to bed when it happened! Don gave me his sweatshirt and I just padded around in socks the rest of our time there. What else could I do?

Around 11pm we got home, but on our way, the Dr called and said that Logan's finger was fractured and since it was an open wound, he would need to be on a heavy dose of antibiotics for the next 5 days. That is not my favorite thing, but when the alternative is bone infection, better to be on the safe side. We got the kids all picked up, home and in bed, and Don headed back for the prescription.

Between the time that he left and the time he got back, my health took a big fat turn for the worse, and I ended up throwing up for the next 24 hours. Whatever I was getting before we left, decided to take the advantage of me being pumped full of adrenalin and when I crashed, I crashed hard.

Today Logan is doing fine and I am sore, but on the mend. Thank God. And I am just very, very grateful that he didn't loose his finger. We go to see the pediatric orthopedic surgeon tomorrow morning to have the dressing taken off for the first time, and honestly, I am dreading that. But it really helps that he seems nearly back to normal. He is very protective of his bandage (which is great), but other than that, he has been his feisty self for the last 24 hours.

My sweet goofy boy.




An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Wow! We've had our share of ER trips, but never when one of us was down with a stomach bug, too! Glad your on the mend - pat yourself on the back for surviving :)

sarah in the woods said...

So scary! Glad he's Ok. Hope everything goes well when you go back.

Erika said...

Wow, Val, an amazing story. They are so resilient. I am glad to hear that everything is getting better. Many blessings to you and your boo boo baby. I hope you are feeling better. Best of luck with the next appointment. *Bless*

Shirley said...

HUGE HUGS! Glad that you're on the road to recovery and he's "okay"!

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Wow!! Val, only a mama could put the stomach flu on hold long enough to get her child through a crisis like that --- SO GLAD you're both on the mend and hope all will be good at the doctor tomorrow.

xoxo ml

Anna said...

Wow. You acted fast and kept a cool head while you needed it. Had to smile when Logan was done and you realized that you were shoe and bra-less. You had just put all of your attention and energy into your little guy. So sorry that bug bit you when you were down. Hope the rest of the week is A LOT easier!

Katie said...

That is so scary. I wish I could help in some way, glad you have local friends to help. Sending Logan some healing prayers.

ColorSlut said...

I am so happy it wasn't worse and what a strong boy! I'm impressed with how well he did (and how well you did). Give him lots of hugs from out here in blog land. Hope he heals super super fast!

erika~ the inspired mama said...

aw, poor little guy! and poor mama!!! you are right, toddlers are resilient- thank goodness! niko had to have her ear stitched back together (dog bite) when she was tiny and after the doctor was done and offered her a sucker she was just fine. i, however, was sick about it for days and days :P

((((HUGS))) thinking of you! so sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well.


Val in the Rose Garden said...

Thanks laides... we are off to the Dr now. I just hope it goes well. He seems fine, so I am taking that as a good sign.

And as for me, I felt 'ansy' yesterday, today I feel almost human. So that is good too. Now if I could just eat something and feel stronger, I would be tip top.

Love you guys!


Val in the Rose Garden said...

Things went alright this morning, although the previously mentioned "protective of his bandage" thing became a real problem for the nurse, as Logan would not allow her to touch it, or even attempt to take it off. It took 20 minutes, and on top of that, because his hand was so balled up, it started to pull before we realised that the dried blood had made it stick and so then he REALLY had a reason to be angry about it. SIgh... but after that drama, all went well. I have to admit though, it isn't healing near as fast as the other stitches I have seen (although it is a much worse wound, but I still expected at least partial healing by now). It is still, red, sore and swollen... but the dr's said with this kind of wound, he is well on the mend and should be able to get his stitches out the end of next week. He is now sporting a beautiful new 'green' bandage that has a little cast toughness to it and seems to be doing alright with it so far today.

Thank you all for your sweet comments. I am doing ok, but am still very much on the mend, much to my frustration. Luckily, we have a long weekend ahead. Lots of catching up on sleep and getting small house things done.

Love Val

Judy said...

This brings back memories. When my brother was about 4 years old I didn't know that he was standing by the door and I slammed the door shut and took off the tip of his pinkie finger. My brother at 4 years old was very calm for what had just happened to him. I was hysterical. He still likes to show me his lopsided finger and remind me of what I did - with humor of course. Logan will be ok and so will you.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Poor Logan! I am so glad to hear the two of you are starting to feel better. Sounds like he handled everything like a real trooper! Just like his mama!!

Unknown said...

So glad Logan is feeling better. Reading your blog makes me miss you friend. <3

Blogger Template Created by pipdig