Sometimes being dairy free sucks. A lot. Yesterday we were out buying a new washer. We were trying to make a choice over whether to get the red ones (which were on sale) or the white ones (what we originally intended to purchase), which would cost us $400 more. The choice was hard for me. Because I will have to completely restyle my laundry room around these new crazy red appliances. I nearly spent $400 just to get something that will make it so I do NOT have to restyle my laundry room around them. But of course, that would be silly! (Silly me.) So while we were making this choice we passed a Wendy’s. I don’t normally eat junk food, but in that moment a Frosty sounded SO very (very) good.
(The picture above is not a try at spilled drink art… it is what happens when you attempt to pour a drink into a glass while trying to take a picture at the same time.)
I came home feeling dairy frustrated but privileged with a new bright red washer and dryer set. While I looked up retro laundry rooms and styles that would work (and be cheap) with my new laundry room I decided that I was going to make my own frosty… or something like it with things I had on hand.
Just to preface… this does not taste like a frosty… It’s much more like a blended chai tea latte. But it does hit the spot when you want a frosty and can’t have one. (Or a chai tea latte… either of which would have been welcome today.)
- 2 cups sweet vanilla almond milk
- 2 heaping teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (big pinch) ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (big pinch) cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon (small pinch) all spice
- 1/8 teaspoon (small pinch) fresh ground nutmeg
- 10 ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey if you like your drinks really sweet (I do not)
- Put in blender.
- Blend to oblivion.
- Pour in glass. (To avoid mess, don’t take picture here.)
- Add straw.